Evangelicals rally behind Palin after pregnancy news
Category: News and Politics
Key evangelical leaders rallied to Sarah Palin’s support Monday amid news that her 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, was having a child.
So VP nominee Sarah Palin’s 17 year old daugher is 5 months pregnant. Stuff happens. I have thoughts. But first I’d like to say that this bit of news gave me a valid excuse to look up age of consent laws. That doesn’t happen often. You can take my name off that watch list now, thank you.
- Is Palin a proponent of abstinence-only sex ed? If so, this is … awkward?
- The age of consent in Alaska is 16. I was wondering if there would be any legal ramifications. Like, how old is the father? That’s what I want to know. Would statuatory rape be a consideration? Obviously, I’m not coming at this from a moral high horse angle, but it could complicate the matter, politically, because the public would have to just swallow that fact and that’s a little touchy. Like, if he’s 24 or something and she got pregnant when she was 15. The kind of thing that can be prosecuted but is often ignored.
- McCain said he knew when he picked Palin. Really? I just heard someone say — a guy on the street blurb — that it’s so unfair to her daughter, Bristol, because they had to know that this was going to be all over the news. This poor girl. The birth would be, when, January? Right smack dab near inauguration?
- Remember the Bush twins? The children of the White House are a wild bunch. I find a double standard here. Chelsea Clinton was so well-behaved as far as I know. Compare that to Bush 41’s kids (George W. with the drunk driving record and reputed coke addiction, other son in the Savings & Loan scandal). Bush 43’s twins living la vida loca. They weren’t totally out of control but just so … ordinary in their co-ed behavior. Trying to buy alcohol with a fake ID when you’re the daughter of the sitting POTUS?? Dick Cheney’s daughter is a lesbian — not that there’s anything wrong with that — but not exactly traditional. Funny what even social conservatives will support or ignore when it’s convenient for them. Then again, they said the same thing about feminists during the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal.
- Imagine if a black candidate for President had a teenage daughter who was pregnant. Just imagine the comments on Fox News and on the right-wing radio talk shows.
That’s all. I’m not ragging on anybody here. Let me make that clear. But it does provoke some thought. It’s just not done! (said in the voice of Her Majesty the Queen) Of course, Obama’s campaign says that Palin’s family is off-limits. No attacks against them. As it should be. Democrats are much nicer than Republicans when it comes to campaigns.
I tell ya. This election just keeps getting more and more interesting. Hurricanes. What’s going to happen next? Derek Bell’s short story is going to come true? Alien invaders? Bird flu outbreak? Killer bees?
Anyone want to take bets?
3:35 PM – 1 Comments – 0 Kudos – Add Comment – Edit – Remove –